Injection Wells in West Maui

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at coral.AOML.ERL.GOV
Thu Dec 14 17:42:59 EST 1995

The following message is being forwarded herewith to the list:

Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 15:09:35 -0500
From: Ursula Keuper-Bennett <howzit at io.org>
To: owner-coral-list at reef.aoml.erl.gov

Hello.

I have just received word that the EPA (Region 9) has changed its mind yet
again about the addition of more injection wells in West Maui.  This area
of ocean has undergone dramatic decline since 1989 when it experienced its
first of several algae blooms.

I will once again give videotaped testimony against granting a permit for
these wells.  In preparation for this it would be very helpful to know of
other sites where injection wells or sewage effluent has resulted in
eutrophication.  I would be especially interested in any areas where
Cladophora was the main algae nuisance.

I also believe that eutrophication may be a factor in fibropapillomas, a
disease of green sea turtles.  That is why I am presently frantic to stop
these injection wells.  The sewage treatment plant in the area dumps the
waste directly into the ground.  It is within 500 metres of the ocean and
they pretend it doesn't go into the ocean.

Yet all indications are that many of the corals have died, the area
experiences annual algae blooms and 75% of the turtles seen are diseased.
90% of turtles resident to the area are sick.

If this has piqued anyone's curiosity, more information about this area
and its special environmental problems can be accessed directly at

http://www.io.org:80/~bunrab/tumoursa.htm

Any help would be appreciated.

                      ^                  Ursula Keuper-Bennett
                     0 0                 Mississauga, Ontario
            /V^\     I I    /^V\         Email: howzit at io.org
          /V     Turtle Trax    V\
        /V      Forever Green     V\     http://www.io.org/~bunrab