Coral Health & Monitoring List-Server

James C. Hendee hendee at wave
Tue May 23 11:03:52 EDT 1995

Greetings,

	We will soon be implementing a list-server for our Coral Health and
Monitoring program.  This e-mail service will function as a forum for
information exchange, discussion, and recent news of interest to coral health
researchers.  List subscribers will also be able to request the following
services:

1) Automated e-mail delivery of Coastal-Marine Automated Network (C-MAN) data
from stations at Fowey Rocks, Molasses Reef, Sombrero Reef, Long Key, Sand
Key and Dry Tortugas.  Other stations include those in the South Pacific, the
Bahamas and the Flower Garden area in the northern Gulf of Mexico.  You will
be able to choose which stations you'd like, and the frequency of reporting
(e.g., hourly, once-a-day, once-a-week, etc.).  The basic data usually
include wind speed and direction, sea surface temperature and barometric
pressure.  Florida Institute of Oceanography enhanced stations include
salinity, and photosynthetically-active radiation (PAR).  Additional
parameters may be added in the future.

2) Automated facsimile delivery of the same data as in (1) above.

3) Automated e-mail delivery of uuencoded .GIF images of CoastWatch data from
South Florida, including the Florida Keys.  You may choose a frequency of
several times per day, once-a-day, etc.  For those of you who are unaware of
what uuencoding is, it a method for transferring binary data (in this case
satellite AVHRR images) as an ASCII message.  When you receive the message,
you use uudecode to decode the message back into a binary file, then view it
on your PC, Macintosh, or Unix workstation.  (Please note that the actual
CoastWatch data files will not be available--those must be retrieved from
Alex Chester of the CoastWatch program.)

	These and other services, such as an online compendium of published
abstracts relating to coral health, and hypertext links to other coral
health-related areas, will also be available soon at our World-Wide Web site:

	http://coral.aoml.erl.gov

	If you have any suggestions as to other materials you would like to
see added to this service, any suggestions as to additional subscriber names,
or if you'd like your name removed from this list, please drop a line at your
earliest convenience.

	Thank you for your support.

	Sincerely yours,

	Jim Hendee

|  James C. Hendee                       | Internet:      hendee at aoml.erl.gov  |
|  Coral Health and Monitoring Program   | Voice:         305 361-4380         |
|  Ocean Chemistry Division              | Fax:           305 361-4582         |
|  NOAA/AOML                             | COASTAL RBBS:  305 361-4524         |
|  4301 Rickenbacker Causeway            |                                     |
|  Miami, FL  33149-1026                 |                                     |