No subject

John McManus J.MCMANUS at cgnet.com
Mon Nov 6 14:40:00 EST 1995

TO        :    Coral List
FROM      :    ReefBase Project
DATE      :    November 6, 1995

We are pleased to see increasing exchange of information on bleaching.  It
would help us a great deal to know something of the extent of bleaching, as
in number of bleached vs. unbleached corals, aerial extent and average
bottom cover of living corals before and after an event.  Coordinates are
very important as well.
We hope everyone is aware that a low level of bleaching is a normal
phenomenon on most reefs, such that up to one percent of colonies being
affected is not generally a cause for concern.  The same applies for
crown-of-thorns damage, white band and black band disease.  We assume that
all reports thus far are of local epidemics, i.e. more than a few percent of
corals are afflicted.  Please correct us if this is not the case with some
of the email reports.
Please send copies of any reports involving coral reefs, including trip
reports.  We will clearly designate the type of source material in ReefBase
so that queries can be made at various levels of confidence, e.g. only
reviewed papers, all formal papers, all reports, etc.  Authorship will be
clearly indicated as well, of course.

John W. McManus
ReefBase Project Leader
ICLARM, 205 Salcedo Street, Legaspi Village,
Makati, Metro Manila, 1229 Philippines