questions reef fish and invertebrates (fwd)

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at coral.AOML.ERL.GOV
Fri Nov 24 18:19:52 EST 1995

Forwarded to coral-list:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 1995 14:29:00 -0800 (PST)
From: John McManus <J.MCMANUS at cgnet.com>
To: owner-coral-list <owner-coral-list at reef.aoml.erl.gov>
Subject: RE: questions reef fish and invertebrates

TO        :    Herman Cesar
FROM      :    John McManus
DATE      :    December 6, 1995

Dear Herman,

The area figure of 100,000 km2 for coral reefs in Indonesia is probably a
good estimate, and one which we and others have arrived at by various,
very crude means.  It means that Indonesia covers about 17% of the world's
reefs (plus or minus 5%).

The invertebrate production of reefs vary tremendously depending on
conditions and what people gather.  A few studies indicate that the
production might equal that of fish production in areas where many species
are gathered.  Thus, a working figure of 15mt/km2/yr (plus or minus 5)
might be appropriate for Indonesia, but only for shallow areas near land
which are accessible.  Thus, what is actually harvested for invertebrates
is less than the harvest potential, unlike fin-fisheries which are mostly
overharvested in Southeast Asia.  Note also that octupos on reef slopes
are often major fisheries, particularly when fish have been overharvested.

The big problem with invertebrate fisheries is the ease with which a
target group can be depleted.  Giant clam, sea urchin and sea cucumber
fisheries have collapsed in many areas.  Usually the collapses occur after
large-volume dealers arrive in a village.  We are a long way from being
able to determine individually the sustainable yield of most invertebrate
species on reefs, and much further from developing effective ways to
manage such fisheries sustainably.

Sincerely,

John McManus