No subject

John McManus J.MCMANUS at cgnet.com
Tue Sep 5 18:16:00 EDT 1995

TO        :    Coral - List
FROM      :    John W. McManus/ReefBase Project Leader
               CCRRSP, ICLARM, Makati, Metro Manila
DATE      :    September 5, 1995

GREETINGS FROM REEFBASE!

Coral-List, with its highly specialized audience, would be a good means of
gathering up to date accounts from the people intimately aware of the things
happening to the coral reefs.  We greatly appreciate the efforts of James
Hendee and his colleagues for initiating and maintaining coral-list.

This message comes to you from ReefBase, the global coral reef database
being developed at ICLARM in the Philippines.  We are currently expanding
our tables on reef stresses and would like to enlist your help.  Would you
have anything on major pollution occurrence (e.g. oil spills), destructive
fishing practices, storms/cyclones; sedimentation, ship grounding, disease
outbreaks, predator attacks and bleaching incidents on the reefs which you
are familiar with?

We d like to know about them from you.  When describing an event, please
note the major anthropogenic stress, the common name of the reef and its
coordinates, if possible.   If there are any published or unpublished
references relating to these, we would welcome copies Send any communication
to:

John McManus, Ph.D.
ICLARM MCPO Box 2631
0718 Makati City
PHILIPPINES
Fax: (632) 8163183
E-mail: J.MCMANUS at CGNET.com

We at ReefBase are coming up with a user-friendly international database on
coral reefs and reef resources.   As a collaborative effort between the
International Center for Living Aquatic Resources Management (ICLARM),  the
World Wildlife Conservation and Monitoring Centre (WCMC) with the support of
the European Commission, ReefBase was initiated in 1993 as an effort to
obtain updated global and regional summaries and assessments of the state of
the reefs.

Our  information comes mainly from scientific papers, technical and popular
articles as well as published and/or unpublished reports. Lately, we have
been receiving a few reports of bleaching incidents and Acanthaster
outbreaks through the e-mail. We would appreciate receiving more of these
from you.

We d also appreciate if you would send us a copy of your scientific papers,
popular articles or technical reports related to the following topics:

? various aspects of coral reef ecology;
? the most common uses of reefs;
? harvest practices for near shore resources;
? natural and human induced stresses on reefs
? marine protected areas; and
? government and traditional management policies on reefs and reef systems;

A preliminary version of ReefBase on a CD-ROM will be released at the 8th
International Coral Reef Symposium in Panama in 1996.  Any contribution you
send us will be properly cited.

Thank you in advance for your support.  Please do not hesitate to contact us
if we can be of assistance to you or if you have any further questions about
ReefBase.