ICRS Symposium: Ecology of Pest Organisms"

T_AYUKAI at aims.gov.au T_AYUKAI at aims.gov.au
Mon Sep 18 02:01:57 EDT 1995

Dear Colleague,

Dr. Brian Lassig and myself are organizing a session on "Ecology of Pest
Organisms on Coral Reefs" for the ICRS meeting in Panama.  Those who have
expressed an interest in presenting a paper in our session (see the list
below).  Could you please send me your abstract by;

          OCTOBER 16 (MONDAY).

We may have a few more slots during our session.  Should you think that your
talk is relevant to the objectives of our session, please contact me as soon
as possible.

Potential Participants:

Drupella - Dr. Loya (Israel), Dr. McClanahan (Kenya), Dr. Black (Aust.)

Crown-of-thorns starfish - Dr. Zann (Aust.), Dr. Oliver (Aust.), Mr. Okaji
     (Aust.)

Sea urchins - Dr. Hutchings (Aust.)

Background:

Crown-of-thorns starfish has caused extensive damages to a number of coral
reefs in the Indo-Pacific.  Feeding by some gastropods has been a significant
cause of coral mortality.  Coral reefs in some locations are also suffering
from massive bioerosion due to grazing by sea urchins.  Outbreaks of these
pest organisms and their effects on the condition of coral reefs should not
be dealt with in isolation from the rapid deterioration of coral reefs on a
global scale.  A number of now heavily deteriorated coral reefs were initially
affected by outbreaks of pest organisms, in particular of crown-of-thorns
starfish.  Such coral reefs failed to recover afterwards, because of the
presence of stresses caused by human activities.

Crown-of-thorns starfish, coral eating gastropods and sea urchins.  They are
all natural inhabitants of coral reefs and in this context should not be
regarded as pest organisms.  The important point is, however, whether outbreaks
of these organisms are a natural phenomenon or are somehow linked to human
activities.  Outbreaks of crown-of-thorns starfish, for example, seem to occur
naturally, but a possibility remains that their intensity is exacerbated by
the consequence(s) of human activities, such as eutrophication and over-fishing.It may be the human that makes
crown-of-thorns starfish pest organisms.

The objectives of the proposed session are to gather the latest information
on the population status of pest organisms on coral reefs of different
locations and to develop further understanding of factors affecting their
population dynamics.  It will also address through discussions a question of
how human activities might affect populations of pest organisms on coral reefs.

(You may have seen a few unfinished messages from me.  I apologize)

Tenshi Ayukai
Australian Institute of Marine Science
Fax 61-77-725852
e-mail t.ayukai at aims.gov.au.

Brian Lassig
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
Fax 61-77-726093
e-mail brian_lassig at gbrmpa.gov.au.