thank you VERY much

Ursula Keuper-Bennett howzit at io.org
Mon Sep 25 20:18:05 EDT 1995

To all Coral types who responded,

   Thanks all of you for the info you provided me so quickly regarding
people to contact in the Indian River area.  Over three months of net
surfing brought me zip but one message in Coral got me a phone number.  That
one phone call to Florida got me another phone number but I know THAT one
will have all the info I need.

   The gentleman I spoke to briefly (it was 10 to 5 when I called) confirmed
my suspicion that the Indian River area is far from pristine.  I mentioned
that our dive site on Maui got trashed and he agreed "trashed" is a good
word for Indian River but grand efforts are being made to "restore" it.

   My husband and I had an area of ocean of West Maui all to ourselves.
I've dived it since 1977 - he since 1987.  In 1989, this area experienced
the first of several cladophora algae blooms.  Because we dive with video we
were able to document it.  Upon our return in 1990 we were shocked at how
many corals died in the course of 10 months.

   Our dive site has been through blooms and heavy run offs and I can't
begin to go into everything.  I am not a scientist, just a diver whose dive
site got trashed.  We met some turtles there.  We dive with the same animals
every year.  Since we met them in 1988, we have seen them get sick with a
disease.

   Indian River has the same incidence of disease.  Hence my interest in the
water lack-of-quality of Indian River.   I am also interested in corals
because (thankfully) there ARE corals that are still alive in our area and I
intend to keep it that way.

   Now to ask about Australia....    Thanks again

                      ^                  Ursula Keuper-Bennett
                     0 0                 Mississauga, Ontario
            /V^\     I I    /^V\         Email: howzit at io.org
          /V     Turtle Trax    V\
        /V      Forever Green     V\     http://www.io.org/~bunrab