Cyanide And Dynamite Fishing

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Tue Dec 3 10:49:59 EST 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 18:31:09 +1100
From: michael aw <oneocean at comcen.com.au>
To: hendee at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: (no subject)

Cyanide And Dynamite Fishing - Who's really responsible?
By Michael AW

The coral reefs in the Asia Pacific islands are under siege by coastal
dwellers using cyanide and dynamite to procure fish.  This practice has
been a vehemently condemned by conservation agencies , scuba diving
magazines, dive resorts, NGOs (non governmental organizations) and marine
scientists as well as all that have their vested interest in the coral
reef environment. If the practice continues, it is estimated by the year
2020, all coral reefs in the region will be destroyed.

Spurred by quick bucks and the demand of aquariums and a live fish trade
supplying restaurants throughout the region, unscrupulous traders employ
agents / locals to harvest reef fishes with sodium cyanide. According to
reports from the WWF, over 6000 cyanide divers squirt an estimated 150,000
kg of dissolved poison on some 33 million coral heads annually. Beside the
distinct possibility of causing the extinction of these fish species in
the region by such a selective culling process , cyanide is not selective.
It also indiscriminately kills coral polyps, symbiotic algae and other
small reef organisms required for the sustenance of a healthy reef, which
will eventually cause the entire ecosystem of the reef to collapse. During
the first eight months of 1995, a total catch of 2.3 million kg of live
groupers and humped wrasse worth over US$180 million was exported to Hong
Kong, Taiwan and Singapore. Another 1.9 million kg of decorative fishes
worth US$800,000 was shipped to Europe and North America.

During Ocean N Environment expeditions to Indonesia, I have come to
encounter these raiders of the reef. Collectors who expose their life to
the risk of cyanide poisoning and decompression sickness due to extended
exposure under pressure.  They comprise solely of boys from local tribes
and sea gypsies. From small collection centres scattered among remote
islands, each of these outposts gathers an average of 250 tons of Napoleon
wrasse and grouper to meet the demand of their middleman in the principal
towns of Ujung Pandang and Manado.  This selective culling of a specie
that may live up to 50 years in the wild is considered totally
unsustainable by marine scientists. In the short term however, a dinner
plate sized Napoleon wrasse which may fetch up to US$800 in a Chinese
restaurant in Hong Kong, makes good business acumen for the entrepreneur.
Gourmet diners in Hong Kong are willing to part with thousands of dollars
for a live fish and will go as far as checking out the freshness of their
dinner by viewing swathes of flesh skillfully removed to show the fish's
beating heart.

Millions of dollars are invested by numerous environmental agencies mostly
donated by the concerned public and corporate sponsors, to research,
educate and 'retrain' fisherman to use other forms and methods of fishing.
One of these organizations, Haribon Foundation for Conservation of Natural
Resources, a leading Philippines NGO has as early as 1990 began a
realistic effort to educate local fisherman on the sustainable development
of the reef environment by protective netting and methods of collection.
Coral Reef Alliance, another conservation agency for the reef, is also
promoting retraining as a solution to the cyanide problems.

However, on the other end of the scale, the simple principal of marketing
still applies. Whenever there is a demand, someone out there will be
sourcing for supply. In Asian culture, consumption of a Napoleon wrasse is
not simply a dietary concern, but the status of being able to afford the
luxury - to many it is a sign of wealth and status symbol.  The South East
Asian counties have undoubtedly become a financial power, where a
gastronomical feast of Napoleon wrasse and the 'thousand-dollar-a-bowl
shark-fin soup mark a successful business transaction. In this regard, the
demand for these delicacies is indeed a serious threat to the marine
environment.

All governments in the South East Asian countries have excellent laws that
declare fishing with both cyanide and dynamite illegal, but implementation
and enforcement are two separate issues altogether.  Governments in these
countries can do nothing to restrict the dietary habits of their own
citizens nor a business venture that engages in cyanide fishing by say a
Singaporean in Sulawesi, Indonesia for example.  In a hypothetical
situation, the obvious solution that would inevitably cause the cyanide
fishing industry to collapse is for the governments of Singapore,
Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China and even Australia to impose bans on
the sale of live Napoleon Wrasse and grouper.  If the aquarium trade for
ornamental fishes in the USA is causing the degradation of reefs in the
Philippines, then ban the tropical fish vendors in that country. Without
the demand, there will no call for supply.

In the real world, this is not as simple. When I checked with Dr. Howard
Latin, an international conservation law professor from New Jersey, on the
possibility of a ban on the sale of live Napoleon wrasse,, his immediate
comment was "since the markets for live groupers & Napoleon Wrasse are
mainly in Asian countries without strong environmental laws, my analysis
wouldn't work and we'd need to find more economical disincentive measures
such as boycotts, information disclosure, etc."

Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Indonesia and Singapore have a long history of
allowing  trade in endangered species  and it will be  unrealistic to
expect
these importing nations to restrain the businessmen and consumers who
want
to have these "luxury" fish for  consumption.  Take  Singapore for
instance,
world renown for law enforcement on its bans on everything from illegal
drugs to chewing gum - imposing effective controls would mean the demand
of
some  cyanide free  import certificates from merchants and random
testing of
live  fish -  the cost  and legalities of which may well offend
neighboring
nations, does not justify  the benefits.  Singapore does not have much
of
her own coral reef resources.

In another context,  what can these governments offer the poor fishermen
who
are making
considerably higher wages (at the risk of their lives and health) using
cyanide to catch a few species in high demand?  Take Indonesia as an
example.  This nation is an archipelago comprised of over 170000
islands,
with a population of over 190 million - a high percentage of these
people
live by and are sustained by the sea and aid is next to non -existent.
In
our expedition to Tukang Besi,  thought to be one of the few remaining
untouched coral reef environments  we found obvious evidence of
frequent
dynamite  fishing used for the collection of fish to  feed the people of
it's overpopulated  water villages.

 A spokesman of Operation Wallacea,  told me that they have received
over
2million US dollars  in aid from Hong Kong  Bank for their research
project
at Tukang Besi. The operation is charging volunteers up to $3000 to help
them document  the bio-diversity there  in an effort to declare the area
marine reserve. Despite all the good intentions, the crux of the
problems
has not been addressed. There are simply too many people , and these
people
need to live.  Wouldn't it be much better  to spend the 2 million
dollars
either relocating these people or  to help them  develop a form of
sustainable aqua culture ? In a nut shell, if we were to focus our
effort on
feeding these people that are practicing dynamite and cyanide fishing,
by
providing them with  resources and skills to improve their quality of
life,
wouldn't  they help us save our reef? The question I posed at my recent
presentation on the environment at DEMA Asia in Kuala Lumpur is "What
have
businesses that profit from the pristineness of coral reefs done for
these
people whose  livelihood has been sustained by the reef's resources?"

The messages scuba and geographical magazines, instruction agencies,
resorts
and live-aboard vessels promote are environmentally friendly - 'don't
touch
the reef, don't take anything' . The new breed of divers are a conscious
lot. Most divers do little damage to coral reefs,  don't remove shells
and
frown on those who do.  One afternoon last year, while on Bunaken island
with a group of divers from Australia ,we  were approached by a young
girl,
barely eight years old, carrying a basket of shells to sell.  She did
not
yield a response from any of us.  My point  to this is simple - while
each
of us must have paid up to US$150 per day for the privilege of diving in
this girl's  'backyard', she did not  reap a single cent - while  her
father
was probably out in an outrigger canoe  waiting to bring  in their next
meal.

As  long as  there are poverty stricken people that are sustained by the
sea
and as long as there is demand by the rich and wealthy for 'luxury'
fish,
dynamite and cyanide will continue to send our coral reef to
irreversible
degradation.  We are not ruling out the prospect of having Napoleon
wrasse
banned from the restaurants of Asia - Pacific countries, but the
businesses
and responsible divers need to take a closer look at their contribution
the problems.  I cite Goodwin's (1996)definition of ecotourism to
illustrate
my point, as most operators in the diving  businesses believe that they
provide. " low impact nature tourism which contributes to the
maintenance of
species and habitats either directly through a contribution to
conservation
and/or indirectly by providing revenue to the local community sufficient
for
local people to value, and therefore protect their wildlife heritage
area as
a source of income.  To this end I have  not seen many such
contributions by
either operators or participants,  in my last six years of extensive
travel.
If every operator in the region would start by adopting a village or
local
community near their operation, providing them with education and a
source
of income, it shall be a positive start to eliminating  dynamite and
cyanide
off  our coral reefs. A boycott by every diver and their friends in Asia
from restaurants that serve shark-fin soup and live Napoleon wrasse will
also create headlines with the news media.  The preservation of the
quality
of our coral reefs is more than just wearing a Save the Reef  T-shirt or
sticking a "Responsible Diver" sticker on the family car.

Michael AW

Life's short...play hard
The Ocean is Our Playground!

Note our new email address: oneocean at comcen.com.au
Michael AW of
Ocean N Environment Ltd
P.O. Box 2138, Carlingford Court Post Office
Carlingford NSW 2118, Australia
Tel / Fax: 61 2 9 686 36 88 also 9686 6838
Mobile: 61 (0) 418 203 238
email: oneocean at comcen.com.au
http://www.OceanNEnvironment.com.au