Cyanide And Dynamite Fishing (fwd)

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Wed Dec 4 07:15:53 EST 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 14:12:50 -0600
From: "Judith C. Lang" <jlang at uts.cc.utexas.edu>
To: Coral Health and Monitoring Program <coral at aoml.noaa.gov>
Subject: Re: Cyanide And Dynamite Fishing

Michael AW has noted:
>If every operator in the region would start by adopting a village or
>local community near their operation, providing them with education and a
>source of income, it shall be a positive start to eliminating  dynamite and
>cyanide off  our coral reefs.....

Not just every diving tourism or dive shop operator , but also every
amateur and university diving club in your region could be asked to
participate.  And don't forget your schoolchildren....you have an
opportunity to extend those wonderful teaching materials for GBR coral
reefs to real-world actions.  (Incidentally, my experience here in the
southwestern US is that an excellent "hooker", to divers and school
teachers alike, is an age-appropriate project which allows them to feel as
though they are participating in IYOR.)

Please folks also remember there are also lots of Asian SCUBA divers, dive
operators, students and scientists with deep concerns for the integrity of
their own and the region's coral reefs and coastal communities....perhaps
some of whom could share with us their ideas about how best to reverse
current trends.

Judy Lang