Hurricane Lili/San Salvador

John Garver, Union garverj at unvax.union.edu
Sat Dec 14 14:50:09 EST 1996

I recently visited the Bahamian Field Station on San Salvador Island, in
the eastern Bahamas.  On October 19, 1996, San Salvador Island was
directly hit by Hurricane Lili with winds up to 110 mph.  During my visit
with students in early December, I encountered many effects of the
Hurricane on the reefs, beaches, and lagoons.

Based on photographs and on-site descriptions, I have recently prepared
"Some effects of Hurricane Lili on San Salvador Island, Bahamas" which is
on the internet.

Many researchers and field trip leaders who bring students to the
Bahamian Field Station are, of course, interested in the aftermath.  This
short note is for those researchers and educators that have visited or
will visit the Island.

In this short note, I mainly focus on the geologic effects of Hurricane
Lili, but as you will see, some of the focus is on damage to coral.  The
report contains the following sections:

Introduction
General observations
Hurricane track and Intensity
Photographs of the effects of Lili
	Severe damage to trees at high elevations
	Extensive salt-spray and wind damage
	Coral damage
	Coral Rubble washover and Beach Erosion
	Washover of sand into a nearby lagoon