Reef Check Update II

gregorh at hk.super.net gregorh at hk.super.net
Sat Dec 14 11:57:15 EST 1996

Reef Check Update II

Purpose:

Reef Check 1997 is a global volunteer effort by groups of divers
led by experienced marine scientists to carry out targetted,
scientifically based, coral reef surveys. These special surveys
will use the most simple techniques possible to determine whether
specific human impacts have affected coral reefs. The ultimate
goal is to generate publicity for coral reef research and
conservation by demonstrating that reefs around the world,
possibly including those believed to be relatively "pristine,"
have been affected by human activities.

Reef Check 1997 is an official International Year of the Reef
activity designed by IYOR committee members. It has been
enthusiatically supported by hundreds of scientists and divers
around the world. Due to the unexpectedly large numbers of groups
interested in participating in Reef Check, we are currently
dividing up responsibility for Reef Check among several regional
centers. We are planning two centers in the US, one in UK, one
in Germany, one in Hong Kong, and one in Australia. We would
welcome volunteers to create additional regional centers in other
parts of the world e.g. Africa, South America, Central America.
Due to the size of the operation, Reef Check headquarters has
been moved to the Institute for Environmental Studies at the Hong
Kong University of Science and Technology. We are currently in
the process of hiring staff to maintain the database and respond
to inquiries.

Timing:

Reef Check was originally planned to be completed in June 1997,
however, for a variety of reasons, we have accepted
recommendations that we change the plan slightly. The revised
Reef Check schedule will open the field monitoring operations on
Ocean Day, 14 June 1997, and field work may be carried out up to
the end of August 1997. The planned reporting period will be
during the first week of September 1997. We are currently
negotiating with various PR groups and television companies to
help disseminate our message worldwide. We would like to have
spokespeople around the world who can be interviewed live in
various languages. We would also hope to get some real-time
underwater coverage of human impacts on coral reefs. A detailed
reporting schedule will be released once these negotiations have
been completed.

Field Methods:

The draft Reef Check Core methods have been posted in a separate
message. Care has been taken to try to match these methods as
closely as possible with existing methods, especially the
Australian-ASEAN and ICLARM Aquanaut protocols. However, due to
the narrow focus of the Reef Check project to detect human
impacts, there are some differences, mainly simplifications. For
example, there is no reason to record coral growth forms for Reef
Check and this parameter has been omitted. But methods to count
a number of commonly harvested reef organisms such as lobster and
grouper have been included. If anyone has strong feelings that
we have omitted something, or ought to reconsider any method,
please let us know.
     In addition to the Core Methods, any additional survey work
that groups feel like doing can be carried out. If the results
are pertinent to the theme of Reef Check, they may be adopted or
at least reported to the media as an extra.

Data Processing:

Each diver group will be responsible for processing its own data.
This will be a very simple procedure of generating count
summaries, totals and means. These will be submitted to regional
centers for compilation, and finally to headquarters. For the
purpose of PR we do not envisage carrying out a great deal of
high powered statistics, but rather reporting percentages of
reefs around the world affected by various types of human
impacts. The data will however have scientific value and will be
available for all to work with in more detail. Permission will
be sought from all groups to allow us to prepare a summary paper.

Eligibility:

Each Reef Check group will consist of a minimum of one qualified
reef scientist who can recognise the organisms listed in the
protocols, and a group of divers who can be trained to carry out
most of the work. The methods have been designed to be as simple
as possible so that high school students can participate. A
practical group size would be 4 pairs of divers, 1 pair per
transect, however, larger or smaller groups could be accomodated.
Divers should be sufficiently experienced that they are able to
perform simple work underwater. It is up to the scientific leader
to decide if the group members are adequately qualified to
undertake the work. Group leaders should carefully check what the
liability may be in their area, and may need to take precautions
such as asking participants to sign liability waivers for this
volunteer activity.

Available Sites/ Groups:

A list of survey sites and groups will be posted in January. New
groups should try to choose new sites to avoid overlap and
increase coverage.

Inquiries:

Please send inquiries to  (But note that office will not be
manned until 1 January):

Gregor Hodgson, PhD
Reef Check Coordinator
Institute for Environmental Studies