transplanting Acropora cytherea to MHI (fwd)

Bruce Carlson carlson at soest.hawaii.edu
Tue Feb 20 22:45:18 EST 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 17:42:16 -1000 (HST)
From: Bruce Carlson <carlson at soest.hawaii.edu>
To: Ed Parnell <parnell at soest.hawaii.edu>
Subject: Re: transplanting Acropora cytherea to MHI

Ed,

Good idea but there are pitfalls.  Collecting Acropora cytheria at French
Frigate Shoals is possible, and we can certainly grow it here (I have
several colonies from Fiji) in our outdoor tanks. However, State
Agriculture will not allow anything from French Frigate Shoals into the
main Hawaiian Islands without an import permit.  Yes the NW Hawaiian
Islands are geologically and biologically and politically part of Hawaii
but from Agriculture's standpoint they might as well be Africa.  I can
get a permit to bring corals back from the NWHI but only on condition
that they be safeguarded from accidental introduction into the wild.  The
permit conditions are very stringent with stiff penalites.

In addition to these hurdles, there are many people here who are
steadfastly against introductions of new corals into the main Hawaiian
Islands.  Basically on the premise that we cannot know in advance what
disruption they may cause to existing ecosystems.  My guess is that A.
cytheria would provide benefits, but I could be wrong and who would want
to take the blame for any permanent long-term environmental havoc?  We've
had a long history of bad mistakes in this area (e.g. the introduction of
the blue-lined snapper from Tahiti) so I think such a proposal would take
years to get through the approval process -- if ever!!

For your information, Acropora was apparently quite common on Oahu about
10,000 years ago.  We can still find fossil colonies of it on the Ewa
plain (and brain corals etc.).  A few colonies of Acropora have turned up
on Kauai over the years.  That's what we need to find (and nurture!).

Thanks for the ideas!

Bruce Carlson