Important NOAA resource now online

Ursula Keuper-Bennett howzit at io.org
Sat Jun 8 17:42:23 EDT 1996

Dear CORALers,

I am really a turtle person but I hang around here because I know the
welfare of corals and reefs is critical to keeping marine turtles healthy.

For the past four months I have been surfing the net trying to locate
environmental information on all Green Turtle Fibropapilloma sites reported
by Drs. Herbst and Williams.  I was doing quite well too.

Today is Ocean Day.  As if to commemorate it, I came upon a most remarkable
resource at a NOAA website.  Newly posted on May 30th is Chapter 1 (NOAA
document) "State of the Reefs: Regional and Global Perspectives".  I was
into the third paragraph before I realized I had forgotten to breathe!
Neatly presented was much of the environmental information I had been
searching for all these evenings!

This web document has summarized conditions and trends of the world's reefs.
I think this NOAA resource is important for all people interested in corals
and reef systems.  If you aren't already concerned about much of the world's
tropical and sub-tropical coastlines you'll be sounding the alarm after THIS
read!

You can reach this document DIRECTLY at:

http://www.nos.noaa.gov/icri/state.html

But also put The Coral Health and Monitoring Program homepage in your
bookmarks. It can be reached at:

http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/

Visiting the NOAA website will only get you Chapter One of this document.
What follows is information necessary for people (like me) who want to order
the entire thing.

Jameson, S.C., J.W. McManus and M.D. Spalding. 1995. State of the
Reefs: Regional and Global Perspectives. International Coral Reef Initiative
Executive Secretariat Background Paper, US Department of State, Washington,
DC, 32 p.

For copies of the complete paper contact Stephen C. Jameson, US Department
of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Office of
Ocean and Coastal Resource Management, 1305 East-West Highway, Silver
Spring, MD 20910, USA.

I thank Drs. Jameson, McManus and Spalding for writing this resource, Jim
Hendee (webmaster of NOAA site) for announcing it and NOAA for funding this
critical research.  Some turtle friends I know back in Hawaii thank them too.

                       ^                  Ursula Keuper-Bennett
                      0 0                 Mississauga, Ontario
             /V^\     I I    /^V\         Email: howzit at io.org
           /V     Turtle Trax    V\       Visit the Turtle Trax Cartoon at:
         /V      Forever Green     V\     http://www.io.org/~bunrab/toon.htm