Research requests by subscribers

AMORIM AMORIM at mfca.uem.mz
Mon Mar 11 18:31:48 EST 1996

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Jim wrote: Greetings, Amorim!

    Requests like yours for basic research are better filled when they
are not urgent and when you can get to a good library or do a literature
search using DIALOG or other similar services.  However, we have set up an
area at our Home Page for gaining access to (hopefully) some key
references in coral health research.  In your particular instance, I would
suggest going to our Literature Abstracts area at:

    http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/bib/lit.abstracts.html

choose "Indexed by Senior Author", and search for the work of Dr. James
Porter, and colleagues.  In your particular case, I would think two good
starting references would be:

"Detecting Change in Coral Reef Communities: A Comparison of Survey
Methods" (Meier, O. W. and J. W. Porter, 1991)

and,

"Species Profiles: Life Histories and Environmental Requirements of
Coastal Fishes and Invertebrates (South Florida). Reef-building corals."
(Porter, J. W, 1987).

See the Page for complete journal citation.

I realize the Literature Abstracts area is not up to date (1994, 95, 96
missing), but such are the problems with reduced funding for a project.

Hope this helps...

    Sincerely yours,

    Jim Hendee

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
| James C. Hendee            | Internet:     hendee at aoml.noaa.gov|
| Coral Health and           |                                   |
|   Monitoring Program       | Voice:        305 361-4380        |
| Ocean Chemistry Division   | Fax:          305 361-4582        |
| NOAA/AOML                  | COASTAL RBBS: 305 361-4524        |
| 4301 Rickenbacker Causeway |                                   |
| Miami, FL  33149-1026      | http://coral.aoml.erl.gov         |
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, AMORIM wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 10:40:02 gmt+0200
> From: AMORIM <AMORIM at mfca.uem.mz>
> To: coral-list at reef.aoml.noaa.gov
> Subject: diversity indexes
>
> Dear all,
> I'm doing a research work on comparing coral reef fishes in two
> areas, using a video camera.
> What I need to know, urgently, is how to compare, statisticly,
> diversity indexes to see if they are significant.
> Are there any scientific papers on similar studies?
> I would appreciate it if you would help me. Thanks!
> Sorry for any duplication!
>
> --
> amorim

Dear Jim,
Thank you very much for your advise.
If I'm not mistaken, the priority of my message was normal, although
I wrote "urgently" on the message.I decided to ask for urgent help to
the coral-list because I need the information before thursday to
finish my prothocol and it's a subject that the Scientific Commission
of Eduardo Mondlane's University (where I study) advised to include
in my prothocol, last friday.
I've searched on the library and found nothing.
The library is also very poor in abstracts and the books, although
very good and updated, are few.
The reason why I did not try the Internet is because I cannot have
access to it,yet, here in Mozambique. Even for the e-mail, I think
this service is relative new in Mozambique.
Once again, thank you very much for your message.
--
amorim