mangroves and coral reefs

Marian B Westley westley at hawaii.edu
Mon Mar 25 14:46:30 EST 1996

Dear subscribers,

I am looking for information to support statements like the following:
"cutting of mangrove trees which normally entrap sediments can result in
excessive siltation for nearby seagrass beds and reefs from runoff from
heavy rains" (from C.S. Rogers (1990) Responses of coral reefs and reef
organisms to sedimentation. Marine Ecology Progress Series 62:185-202).

I am particularly interested in cases where mangroves have been cut down
and consequent damage to reefs has been documented.

Many thanks,

Marian Westley