Open Reply to P Collinson (nubbin growth)

Daniel Bucher dbucher at scu.edu.au
Sun May 5 20:44:25 EDT 1996

Peter,

        A friend forwarded your request for information on coral nubbin
growth studies to me.  You may remember me from the ISRS conference in
Townsville.  I was just starting up my experiments then as part of the
ENCORE program. I now have some results of growth (by weight, linear
extension and volume) of Acropora longicyathus and A. aspera nubbins
exposed to two levels of N, P and NP pollution over two years at One Tree
Island.  I have also attempted some measurements of Porites porites whilst
on Barbados last year (damned parrot fish thwarted much of that!!).  Ove
Hoegh-Guldberg at Sydney Uni. <oveh at bio.usyd.edu.au> has been following
growth of Pocillopora damicornis and Andy Steven at the Great Barrier Reef
Marine Park Authority <Andy_Steven at quickmail.macnet2.gbrmpa.gov.au> has
data for Acropora palifera from the same experimental design.  Contact me
if you would like to discuss my results.  I have not published yet as the
experiment is only just concluding.  So far my results support
recently-published work from Hawaii that nutrients ALONE may not depress
coral growth (indeed they may even enhance it in some circumstances).

However, far from being benign (or even beneficial) nutrients do have
deleterious effects on other processes important to reef survival and
recovery.  Selina Ward's work on the same colonies as mine has demonstrated
effects on most stages of the sexual reproductive cycle.  My own work has
hinted at some other processes that might be affected (but it needs a lot
more work to confirm it).

                                Danny

P.S.  can someone tell me how to subscribe to this list? It sounds like
there's some useful discussion going on there.

                                                                     *

                                                                 *     *

                                                                       +

                            DANIEL BUCHER         *

                      Associate Lecturer in Biology/Ecology
                           Centre for Coastal Management
                       SOUTHERN CROSS UNIVERSITY
             P.O. Box 157, Lismore, N.S.W. Australia, 2480
                Phone: +61+66 203665   Fax: +61+66 212669
                           E-mail: dbucher at scu.edu.au