Sibling species

Bruce, Niel L. {ZMUC} nlbruce at ZMUC.KU.DK
Thu May 30 10:05:00 EDT 1996

Osha queried " newly discovered sibling species on the reef".

     I am not sure what organisms were being referred to, but in the smaller
crustaceans there are several such complexes, the most spectacular that I
know of being a group of small isopods found on coral reefs around the
world, that went from one "pantropical cosmopolite" (Cirolana parva) to
currently about 20 species, with a similar number yet to be described. If
you want to know more, get in touch with me.

Niel L. Bruce
Curator of Crustacea
Zoologisk Museum, Universitetsparken 15,
Copenhagen O, DK 2100
DENMARK
Ph:  +45 35 32 10 00; +45 35 32 10 21 (direct); FAX: +45 35 32 10 10.
e-mail: <nlbruce at zmuc.ku.dk>; home page:
<http://www.aki.ku.dk/zmuc/inv/staff/nlb.htm>