Elusive Map Found!!

Maria Justine MILICI CESAL at CEnvSci.Com
Mon Nov 4 05:20:41 EST 1996

Hi Coral-List,

Many people asked me to pass on the information about the elusive map
I was looking for if I ever found it (the one detailing the damage to
coral reefs around the world), so here goes:

1.  There are maps in the back of a report titled:

Jameson, S.C., JW McManus and MD Spalding 1995.
  State of the Reefs:Regional and Global Perspectives.

ICRI Executive Secretariat Background Paper,
 US Department of State, Washington DC 32p

I have a hard copy of this now (I picked it up at ICRS in Panama in
July) and it says you should contact Stephen
Jameson at sjameson at ocean.nos.noaa.gov to get a copy.  These maps
were produced from REEFBASE.  I have tried various ways of ordering
this cd over the past couple of weeks but, as yet, have had absolutely no luck
at all.  I have tried emailing John
McManus directly (Reefbase project leader), emailing the reefbase
team (Reefbase at cgnet.com) and am now in the process of telephoning ICLARM
 directly in the Philippines to try to
obtain a copy.  I suspect this might be the best way to go as they
may not be contactable thru their email all the time. Fair enough.

2.  I also got some feedback about another map that sounded pretty good.
Its a World Resources Institute (1995) map of Marine
Protected Areas Threatened by Development and the Coastal Ecosystems
Threatened by Development. They do not list coral reefs as such. They
are in colour and show different
LEVELS of risk. It is part of a document entitled Coastlines at Risk:
An index of Potential Development-Related Threats to Coastal
Ecosystems (D. Bryant, E. Rodemburg, T. Cox & D. Nielson) 1995.
Address is: World Resource Institute
1709 New York Ave. N.W., Washington D.C. 20006 Tel 202-638-6300

I visited their website and tried to order a copy but have had no
response. The website is at:  igc.apc.org/wri but I haven't been able
to get thru to them for a couple of days.

thats it...thanks to all the people who helped me with this...i
really appreciate it....

maria

Dr. Maria Milicich
Senior Scientist