Greenwire 11/18 story on coral reefs (fwd)

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Tue Nov 26 09:31:28 EST 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 22:17:21 +0000
From: Marine Biology Section, USC, Cebu, Philippi <mbs at mangga.usc.edu.ph>
Subject: Re: fwd: Greenwire 11/18 story on coral reefs (fwd)

Last Nov. 22 I saw the mail you forwarded and is as follows;

                   USAID PROGRAM AIMS TO HELP
     The US Agency for Int'l Development has begun a $21 million Coastal
Resources Management Project to help combat the problem. It aims to put
10, 000 miles of Philippine coastline under sustainable management, and
eventually "create a local political coalition with a common interest in
preserving the coastal environment and strong enough to defeat those who
make money destroying it" (Steven Butler, US NEWS & WORLD REPORT, 11/25
 issue).

I live here in Cebu Philippines and although there is this USAID
funding worth millons of dollars, I do not see any difference it has
created regarding the ecological state of my country.

Personally, I think that this would just be a waste of money on the
USA part If you want to know more details, just reply

Francis Freire
Research Assistant
____sender's name_____
Marine Biology Section
University of San Carlos          fax (+63-32) 3460351
Cebu City 6000, Philippines       email: mbs at mangga.usc.edu.ph

****** When replying, PLEASE INCLUDE ADDRESSEE'S NAME IN
SUBJECT HEADER *** thanks. ********