US$10,000 Grouper Meal

Gregor Hodgson rcgregor at usthk.ust.hk
Fri Nov 29 02:18:52 EST 1996

Here is a news report that sheds some light on the economics of cyanide and
other forms of fishing around coral reefs.
South China Morning Post - Hong Kong

A 230 kg grouper was netted by Indonesian fishermen and has been sold to a
Hong Kong restaurant for US$10,256. "But when it arrived at Newton Court
Seafood Restaurant, its size created a headache for managers and chefs. Our
fish tanks are too small for the fish -- its three metres long, said
restaurant manager Kwan Ping-chiu. We have asked an expert to choose an
auspicious day for chopping up the grouper. And we'll hold a small ceremony
before our chef wields his chopper, said Mr Kwan.

The chef said the tail, skin and fins were considered most tasty when stewed
with shark fin; the bones would provide a soup base and the flesh could be
stir-fried. Within 24 hours of the grouper's arrival yesterday, the
restaurant had received more than 20 reservations for the fish feast on
Sunday. In April, a rare 250 kg grouper also caught by Indonesian fishermen
was bought by a Sai Kung (HK) seafood stall."

Comment: Many of us eat lots of fish. But with this kind of money involved --
there is a relatively large incentive to catch every single large fish out
there, and this could put a dent in overall stocks.

Questions: Who can start an international educational campaign regarding the
comparative reproductive advantage of large fish over small? Jim Bohnsack has
a nice diagram of this. Can reef scientists band together to suggest that
national fisheries agencies restrict catch at the top-end of fish sizes for
some species? Please post comments/responses to the coral-list server.

Gregor Hodgson, PhD
Institute for Environmental Studies, Research Centre
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Clearwater Bay, Kowloon, HONG KONG
e-mail: rcgregor at usthk.ust.hk
fax: (852) 2358-1582
tel: (852) 2358-8568