private reef conservation?

Michael De Alessi dealessi at cei.org
Wed Oct 2 11:51:09 EDT 1996

Hi. I am looking for any leads or information on private conservation of
coral reefs, anywhere around the world. Ideally, an instance where either
common or private property rights have empowered either a community or
individuals to control access to and conserve reef habitat, for whatever
reason -- fishing, tourism, or merely preservation. The rights need not be
formal (for example an isolated community without any formal rights to an
area that still sets rules to encourage conservation).

I am quite familiar with other instances of private stewardship, e.g.
habitat protection and pollution fighting activities undertaken by the
owners of oyster beds, but do not know of any coral reefs that have been
protected in this way. Any help would be much appreciated; please reply to
me directly.

Thanks and cheers,

Michael De Alessi
Center for Private Conservation