Reef Check 97 Update

gregorh at hk.super.net gregorh at hk.super.net
Sat Oct 12 23:12:35 EDT 1996

**REEF CHECK 1997** an IYOR Activity

Reef Check 1997 will be an exciting international event involving
collaboration between recreational divers and scientists. The concept of Reef
Check is a one-day rapid survey of as many reef sites as possible throughout
the world using very basic "tried-and-true" techniques such as counting
indicator species such as grouper, sea urchins, measuring coral cover ratio
live/dead etc. The work will be done in one day at each site by combined teams
of recreational divers with a knowledge of marine biology and at least one
professional marine scientist per team who will be responsible for ensuring
the scientific quality of the work.

The objective will be to report on the basic "health" of a minimum of 100
reef sites from around the world. It is thought that this strategy will help
achieve one of the major aims of IYOR -- to build awareness of coral reefs and
problems affecting them. The goal will be to disseminate the information
gained from this snapshot "Reef Check" by having a live video satellite link
among a number of representative sites throughout the world. In this way, we
hope to focus the attention of the public, politicians and government leaders
on the status of the world's coral reefs.

The date of Reef Check 1997 will be the first two weeks of June 1997, and we
hope to be able to announce the results on Ocean Day 14 June 1997.

We are now looking for diver group/lead scientist combination teams to join
our list of Reef Check 1997 participants.

If your group would like to particpate in Reef Check 1997, please send your
contact information to:

Reef Check 1997 Coordinator
Mr Shaun Waddell
The Hong Kong Marine Conservation Society
Fax: (852) 2548-9464
e-mail: HRDUBWD at hkucc.hku.hk

Once we have a consolidated list of participants, we will send you more
information about the survey protocols and reporting arrangements in
November/December. For your information, there will be a basic Reef Check
"core" protocol that we will require all groups to follow. In addition, groups
will be able to add whatever additional survey parameters that may be most
appropriate for their part of the world or interests.

Gregor Hodgson
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology