Info on quinaldine effect on corals

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Tue Oct 22 12:35:55 EDT 1996

Forwarded message:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:35:50 -0500 (EST)
From: "Walt, Jaap" <JAAP_W at harpo.dep.state.fl.us>
To: OWNER-CORAL-LIST at aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: Re: Info on quinaldine effect on corals - Reply

A copy of a report titled Observations on Florida reef corals treated with
fish-collecting chemicals. is available from the librarian at the Florida Marine
Research Institute, 100 8th Ave SE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701.  Ask for FMRP
number 10.

I worked on the study and we did note that some corals bleached from
application of quinaldine to their tissues.  We also found that small cryptic
fauna were stupefied by quinaldine and were very easy prey for the blueheads
that trailed us during the experiments.    We ran a literature search on
quinaldine and similar chemicals this spring.  The results did not provide any
conclusive new evidence that would ban its use.  Walt Jaap