IYOR Germany takes off!

Reinhold Leinfelder reinhold.leinfelder at po.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Oct 24 12:55:10 EDT 1996

(if you subscribed to both the IYOR and the CORAL-listserver, we apologize
for the inconvenience of receiving this message twice)

INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF THE REEF 1997: ACTIVITIES IN GERMANY

IYOR-Germany took some time for preparations. But now we are taking off
like a rocket!

This mail is from the official organizing group for IYOR-Germany. We would
like to inform you about the German activities for the
International Year of the Reef (1997).

You may also check our web page on general IYOR aims and German IYOR
activities at:

http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/UNIuser/igps/IYOR

The German IYOR initiative was officially launched at a meeting
of the German Science Foundation (DFG) in G÷ttingen in Oct. 1996. The DFG
meeting was held on the occasion of the closure of the Research Priority
Programm on Modern and Ancient Reefs. The great majority of German reef
researchers attended the meeting and support the initiative.

GERMAN IYOR COMMITTEE:

Organizing team:
Prof. Dr. Reinhold Leinfelder, Institute of Geology and Paleontology,
University Stuttgart, reinhold.leinfelder at po.uni-stuttgart.de
PD Dr. Franz Br’mmer, Institute of Biology, University Stuttgart,
bruemmer at po.uni-stuttgart.de
Dipl.-Biol. Moshira Hassan, GEOMAR, Kiel, mhassan at geomar.de
Dipl.-Biol. Felix Gunkel,fgunkel at gwdg.de and Dipl.-Geol. Gert Woerheide,
gwoerhe at gwdg.de, both Institute of Geology and Paleontology, University
G÷ttingen

The curatorium consists of:
Prof. Dr. Helmut Schuhmacher, Institute of Ecology, University of Essen
(probably the most renowned German reef zoologist)
Prof. Dr. Erik Fluegel, Institute of Paleontology, University of Erlangen
(probably the most renowned German reef geoscientist)
Prof. Dr. Fritz Steininger, Director of the Senckenberg Museum at Frankfurt
(probably the most renowned German museum on Natural History and Biology)

GERMAN IYOR ACTIVITIES

 German IYOR activities  particularly focus on the following:

1. Exhibitions
2. Diving associations
3. Schools
4. General public information in various media.

The following activities are already completed or under direct preparation:

1. EXHIBITIONS

* IYOR-OPENING BY HANS HASS: The largest European exhibition/fair on water
sports, the BOOT
(translated: 'boat', taking place in Dusseldorf in January 1997) is, among
other things,  the top exhibition for all national and international diving
associations (sport divers, research divers). We are proud to announce that
the opening public talk will be held by HANS HASS (our most charismatic
diving biologists, Austrian, born in
1919, who made many books and films which ANY Austrian or German knows) and
this WILL BE THE OFFICIAL OPENING FOR IYOR IN GERMANY. There will be a
booth with informations on IYOR as well.

*MUSEUM TOUR EXHIBITION ON REEFS: The outcome of the 6-years DFG-priority
program on reefs (with more than 150 colleages involved, see above)
 will be presented in a public reef exhibition (sponsored by the DFG, and
also official part of the
German IYOR-activities). We will also particularly focus on the importance
of reefs for mankind. This exhibition will be starting at the renowned
Senckenberg Museum (Frankfurt am Main) and probably will go on tour to a
variety of other museums and exhibition halls in the course of 1997.

2.DIVING ASSOCIATIONS

* Many different diving associatons (both German and International) support
IYOR. German diving tourists are widespread across the globe and this is
why we will particularly focus on these associations. Activities will
include articles in diving and tourism journals as well as new information
material for instructors. Franz Bruemmer, from the IYOR-group, Germany, is
vice president
 or committee member of a variety of diving associations and head
associations, so we do
have good possibilities. See below for the  associations involved to date.

3. SCHOOLS

* In Spring 1997, Moshira Hassan, GEOMAR, Kiel will give informative
courses on coral reefs for selected high schools in Northern Germany. The
courses will include slide shows, excursions to the Baltic Sea and an
introductory scuba dive.
Similar activities with other schools are in preparation at a larger scale.
We are also preparing course material for distribution to school teachers.

4. GENERAL PUBLIC ACTIVITIES

* Press conferences at various occations. The first one was during the reef
meeting mentioned above (G÷ttingen). Outcome: IYOR presented in the press
in a friendly way

* The "Jurassic Reef Park", a popular educational science internet article
(by Reinhold Leinfelder), both in English and German, informs on modern and
ancient reefs, and also on their possible importance for mankind.
(URL http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/UNIuser/igps/Jurassic_Reef_Park)

* The German IYOR web page not only lists the activities of IYOR, but also
gives informations on the importance of reefs and suggestions what everyone
can contribute to the protection of reefs.URL:
http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/UNIuser/igps/IYOR (maintained by Reinhold
Leinfelder, send your info on IYOR- activities in Germany to him, this
e-mail's address) ( mostly in German)

* Various information brochures on the importance of reefs will be produced
The reef exhibition mentioned above will be accompanied by a catalogue
including similar informations.

* Colleagues will prepare popular science articles for selected popular
journals, including diving journals. We will also try to launch articles in
the mass media.

* Public talks and guided tours will be given
in museums, zoological gardens and aquariums, as well as other
institutions.

SUPPORTERS
Who supports IYOR-Germay till now?

University Institutions
* GEOMAR-Kiel (Prof. Dullo, Dipl.-Biol. Moshira Hassan - e-mail:
mhassan at geomar.de)
* Institut f’r Geologie und Pal„ontologie der Universit„t Stuttgart (incl.
its reefgroup: Prof. Dr. R. Leinfelder et al.,  e-mail:
reinhold.leinfelder at po.uni-stuttgart.de).
* Institut f’r Biologie der Universit„t Stuttgart,  (Privatdozent Dr. Franz
Br’mmer, e-mail:  Bruemmer at po.uni-stuttgart.de, Prof. Dr. H.-D. Goertz)
* Institut und Museum f’r Geologie und Pal„ontologie der Universit„t
G÷ttingen (Prof. Reitner, Dipl.-Biol. Felix Gunkel - e-mail:
fgunkel at gwdg.de, gwoerhe at gwdg.de)
* Institut f’r Pal„ontologie der Universit„t Erlangen-N’rnberg (Prof. Fl’gel)
* Institut f’r Ùkologie, Universit„t GH Essen (Prof. Schuhmacher)
* Institut und Museum f’r Geologie und Pal„ontologie der Universit„t
T’bingen (Dr. Gischler).
(additionally we have a long signature list of supporting reef researchers
from Germany)

Museums
* The Senckenberg Museum of Natural Science Senckenberg, Frankfurt am Main
(Director Prof. Steininger)
* Museum of Natural History, Stuttgart (Director Dr. K÷nig)

Zoological Gardens
* Wilhelma Stuttgart

Diving organisations

* WITUS: Scientific Diving Group of the University of Stuttgart (as part of
the Association of Research Diving Biologists) (ARDB)
* F÷rderkreis Sporttauchen e.V.
* Verband deutscher Sporttaucher, e.V. (VDST, member of CMAS)
* W’rttembergischer Landesverband f’r Tauchsport e.V. (WLT)
* Baltic Dive Center (Oliver Wolf)
* PADI Europe -PROJECT AWARE

Schools
* Integrierte Gesamtschule L’tjenmoor/Kiel

Others
* Technisches Hilfswerk Kiel
(with many others we are in negociations)

Regards to all of you,

the German IYOR organizing team

Moshira, Franz, Gert, Felix and Reinhold
(e-mail- and full addresses see above)

PS: IYOR GERMANY HAS OPENED A BANK ACCOUNT FOR SPONSORS.
If you want to contribute ask Reinhold or check out the IYOR-Germany webpage

Reinhold Leinfelder
Institut fuer Geologie und Palaeontologie
der Universitaet Stuttgart
Herdweg 51
D-70174 Stuttgart
Germany

e-mail: reinhold.leinfelder at po.uni-stuttgart.de
phone: ++49-711-1211340 or -1339
fax: ++49-711-1211341

WorldWideWeb:
Institute:  http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/UNIuser/igps/
Reef Group Stuttgart: http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/UNIuser/igps/reefgroup/
German activities to the International Year of the Reef 1997:
http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/UNIuser/igps/IYOR

Dive into the Jurassic Reef Park!
http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/UNIuser/igps/Jurassic_Reef_Park/