Cyanide Damage - Information Required

John Rewald 100353.164 at compuserve.com
Thu Sep 5 16:59:28 EDT 1996

I have received a request for information and advice on cyanide damage to reefs
and the marine environment from Fiji.

Curly Carswell
President
Fiji Dive Operators Association
Fiji
 Email: seafijidive at is.com.fj

He asked the following,   "Due to an open caste NEW GOLD MINE CALLED MOUNT KASI
in Savusavu (my home) deliberately breaking its tailing dam in near flood
conditions and co-incidently over the same period many fish and turtles ending
up DEAD!!  We are therefore trying to get a Coral Monitoring course done
immediately.

We've also arranged for a Satellite pass through Prof. Le Drew, Waterloo
University for Savusavu Bay to obtain Data.  He has pre-mine time data so
hopefully we can identify if we have a problem.

On the Mine subject how could I get info on OKTED MINE (don't know spelling).
Apparently they had similar problems.  I thought that knowing their problems it
may help us in Savusavu to anticipate or deal with a possible major
environmental problem.  DO YOU KNOW IF WE CAN ACCESS THROUGH INTERNET INFO ON
OPEN CASE MINE - DESIGNS - USE OF CYANIDE, HOW TO DISPOSE OF TAILINGS ETC???"

I have supplied some details but would appreciate any one with more detailed
information or suggestions to contact Curly Carswell direct.

John Rewald
Motupore Island Research Department
University of Papua New Guinea
Box 320  University P.O.