Coordinates of the world's coral reefs (fwd)

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Thu Sep 12 09:00:34 EDT 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 12:53:51 BST
From: Mark.Spalding at wcmc.org.uk
To: owner-coral-list at reef.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: Coordinates of the world's coral reefs

Dear Eric (and interested others)

The best "book" for your purposes is the new global coral reef database
ReefBase Version 1.0, produced on CD-ROM and released for the first time in
Panama this year.  This has lat/longs for over 6000 named reefs.  The World
Conservation Monitoring Centre has worked closely with ICLARM in developing
maps of coral reefs and we now have a global coverage of coral reefs on a GIS
with source material ranging in scale from 1:20,000 to 1:1,000,000.  This
includes hundreds of thousands of arcs and polygons describing reefs
worldwide, too many, I fear, for you to use to get a list of lat/longs, but
the same maps are presented on ReefBase and will also soon go on-line on the
World Wide Web.

For more info on reefbase e-mail direct to
	reefbase at cgnet.com

Mark D. Spalding                          E-mail: mark.spalding at wcmc.org.uk
World Conservation Monitoring Centre
219 Huntingdon Rd
Cambridge, CB3 0DL                                     Fax: +44 1223 277136
United Kingdom                                         Tel: +44 1223 277314