"Destructive fishing practices: Asia's growing curse" (fwd)

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Thu Sep 12 08:53:43 EDT 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 12:52:58 EDT
From: mcall at superaje.com
To: Coral Health and Monitoring Program <coral at aoml.noaa.gov>
Subject: Re: "Destructive fishing practices: Asia's growing curse"

The posting on cyanide fisheries and use of dynamite has considerable factual
content, though the manner of presentation will lead to misconstruing some of
that information.  It also omits some information.

The impression is given that nothing is being done.  Ocean Voice International
of Ottawa and the Haribon Foundation for Conservation of Natural Resources of
Manila has had a program going in the Philippines for over six years.  We have
trained 1000 collectors to use small environmentally friendly nets instead of
cyanide, provided coastal communities with knowledge about managing their own
coral reefs in the form of videos and our 126 page English-language manual, SAVE
OUR CORAL REEFS with 100 figures, and are right now trying to establish an
export facility for the graduates of our community courses.  An Indonesian
version of our manual has already been published, and we hope to publish two
Filipino language versions this year.  One should also mention that the IMA (an
NGO) and the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (government agency) have
instituted a cyanide detection test for exports.

For person wishing more information or wishing to support our program, see our
home page:

	http://www.ovi.ca

For persons wishing reading materials our quarterly bulletin, Sea Wind, now
going into its 10th volume has a number of articles on cyaniding, dynamiting,
sedimentation and other human impacts on reefs and the marine environment.  For
an overview of the sea, read our STATUS OF THE WORLD OCEAN AND ITS BIODIVERSITY,
in a special 72-page issue of SEA WIND.

Sincerely,

don

Don E. McAllister             /& Canadian Centre for Biodiversity
Ocean Voice International          /Canadian Museum of Nature
Box 37026, 3332 McCarthy Rd. /Box 3443, Station D
Ottawa, ON K1V 0W0, Canada    /Ottawa, ON K1P 6P4
 (or: ah194 at freenet.carleton.ca) Tel: (613) 264-8986, Fax: (613) 264-9204