Spawning at FGBNMS

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Fri Sep 13 09:10:44 EDT 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 13:42:15 -0400
From: CBAggie at aol.com
To: coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: Re: Octocoral Spawn (fwd)

On the night of  Sept 3, 4, &5 A mass spawning event was again observed at
the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary.  In addition the the many
colonies of Diploria and Montastrea species obsreved releasing gametes, a
single small (approx. 15cm diameter)  colony of Porites astreoides was
observed slowly releasing a milky white substance similar to the sperm
release previously seen in male M. cavernosa species.  This seems somewhat
unexpected, as I understand P. astreoides to be a brooding species.  Could
someone shed some light on this for me.

Carl Beaver
Center for Coastal Studies
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi