Request for Info on Coral Implants

gregorh at hk.super.net gregorh at hk.super.net
Thu Sep 19 10:03:40 EDT 1996

In 1989, I did a story on coral implants for Asia Technology magazine. At that
time, the major company in Asia marketing coral implants was a French company
called SOFAMOR. They were purchasing their corals in New Caledonia and Tonga.
Their contact numbers were:

SOFAMOR Asia Pacific Ltd
Room 1910 Asian House
1 Hennessy Road
Wanchai, Hong Kong
Fax (852) 2865-2237
Tel (852) 2528-1363

Given the time since this story, it is quite likely that they have moved. So
if anyone has trouble tracking them down, let me know and I can try to see if
they are still here in HK. The company is large and sells many other products.

Closer to home (for those in US) is a US manufacturer:

INTERPORE International
18008 Skypark Circle
Irvine California
(800) 722-4489
In california (800) 722-4488

The technology of turning coral into implants was developed by Dr. John Weber,
Prof. Marine Geology and Prof. Eugene White, Solid State Science Dept. at Penn
State Univ. USA

Hope this helps.

Gregor Hodgson
Institute for Environmental Studies
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Clearwater Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong
gregorh at hk.super.net
Fax: (852) 2358-1582
Tel: (852) 2358-8568