Algal Growth

Cassian Edwards bt3171 at qmw.ac.uk
Wed Apr 2 14:26:35 EST 1997

Hello all,

As part of my PhD I plan to take regular measurements of algal community
biomass occurring on experimental settlement plates in order to obtain a
measure of algal growth. However, since there will surely be several
colonising species, will the change in mass ultimately reflect community
growth? Perhaps mass variation will simply be due to the effects of algal
succession during the study period, and thus the change in mass will simply
be the sum of individual growth rates arising within the succession.

I would be extremely grateful if I could have some feedback on this.

Thanks a lot.

Cassian Edwards...please reply to c.edwards at qmw.ac.uk

* Cassian Edwards,                                       *
* School of Biological Sciences,                         *
* Queen Mary and Westfield College (London University),  *
* Mile End Road,                                         *
* E1 4NS,                                                *
* England.                                               *
* Telephone: +44 171 775 3200 (ext 4121)                 *
* Fax:       +44 181 983 0973                            *
* email:     c.edwards at qmw.ac.uk                         *