Biologists in Sudan?

Gert Jan Gast gjgast at nioz.nl
Fri Apr 4 08:51:10 EST 1997

> Date:          Fri, 4 Apr 1997 08:10:58 -0500 (EST)
> From:          Amanuel Melles <aa608 at freenet.toronto.on.ca>
> Subject:       Re: Biologists in Sudan?
> To:            Gert Jan Gast <gjgast at nioz.nl>
> Cc:            coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov, Mussie Mozes <mussie at nioz.nl>,
>                Amanuel Melles <aa608 at torfree.net>

Hi Amanuel,

You just send this message to over 700 people in the world by including the
coral-list. I don't think that is necessary. Please watch out which return
addresses your E-mail program picks. (Nothing personal, but this kind of thing
usually annoys me. We all get enough mails as it is.)

> Hi Gert,
>
> I'm an Eritrean marine ecologist. Please drop me a line in private for
> contact names and information about the latest conditions in Sudan.

Yes please.

> Your concern about security is something you've to consider seriously as
> part of your plan. It's April and fighting is heading towards Tokar!

Sorry to say, but I must admit that this part of the world started to get my
interest only 2 weeks ago. I am not very familiar with the geography. The best
I have here in the office is:
 http://www.columbia.edu/~tm146/pic/map.jpg

Can't find Tokar. I guess you mean the front in the south. I heard from our
Foreign Ministery this morning that the rebels entered from Eritrea trying to
get the east road, close the border. I think that place with Ka...... , close
to the border. Question is if they go west towards Karthum or North towards
Port Sudan. If they also get the other road..... I am slowly starting to get
the feeling that things whole idea may (literally unfortunately for the locals)
go up in smoke. But who knows, it isn't august yet.

> BTW, I had spent a resourceful time at NIOZ in 1990

Huh? I came here in September 1990. We're you stil here then and living in the
Potvis? Should I remember you?

>and now one of my
> ex-students is at NIOZ too. May be you can chat over coffee with Mussie.

Wonderful! I'll find him!

> I've included his email address and cc this message to him too.
>
> I'm also planning to carry out surveys as part of REEFCHECK this summer in
> Eritrea.

It is good you write. I just got Heinrich Bruggemans E-mail address in Eritrea.
I don't know if you know, but he is setting up a marine biological fieldstation
for a university in Eritrea in cooperation with the university in Groningen. I
asked him if he knew about ReefCheck and if he wanted to do anything there. I
was thinking of it as an alternative to Sudan. Are you aware that Moshira and
Gert (Cc's above) are coordinating ReefChecks in the Red Sea?

Is anybody planning a ReefCheck in Ethiopia?

Cheers, GJ
Gert Jan Gast <gjgast at NIOZ.NL>
Netherlands Institute for Sea Research
Department of Marine Ecology
P.O. Box 59, 1790 AB Den Burg, The Netherlands.
Phone: 31 (0)222 369573. Fax: 31 (0)222 319674.