carbonate budgets

gussman_o at usp.ac.fj gussman_o at usp.ac.fj
Wed Aug 27 07:56:54 EDT 1997

Dear Coral-Listers,

I am working on Halimeda calcium carbonate budgets on Fijian reefs
for my PhD dissertation.  Combing through the literature of
sedimentation and carbonate production, I developed a couple of
questions concerning carbonate budgets in general, which I hope
one of you might answer:

1.  In bioerosion and deposit feeding activities carbonate material
is often reduced in size (muds).  While these activities produce
sediment and add to the reef budget initially (or at least may not
affect it, as by deposit feeders), it is also more likely to be
washed out during extreme (and normal?) weather conditions.

Is it generally assumed that any bioeroded material is lost to the
system (bioerosion = loss to carbonate budget?), or is there an
indication as to what proportion is retained within the reef?

In addition, bioerosion is thought to make substrates more prone to
mechanical erosion.  Is there any qualitative/ quantitative data on
this process?  The only one I found so far is in a study on
barnacles, quoted in Orme (see below for reference).

2.  This raises the question of rates of cementation.  Are there any
published rates of cementation of loose material, by e.g. the often
quoted red coralline algae?  Or is it their growth rates that
indicates cementation?

Orme (1977, in Biology and Geology of Coral Reefs, Jones and Endean
eds., Volume 4, Geology 2; "Aspects of coral reef sedimentation" )
states that "enourmous blocks are quickly cemented to the reef on
which they come to rest", which is the only (qualitative) information
I could find.

I hope my request is appropriate for this list.  Please respond to me
personally <gussman_o at usp.ac.fj>.  Looking forward to discussions.

Sincerely,
Oliver

Oliver Gussmann