Reply to GIS/reef inquiry

tremle at folly.cofc.edu tremle at folly.cofc.edu
Mon Feb 17 07:15:29 EST 1997

The following is a summary list of all the replies given in response to
my request for information, references, and on-going research using GIS
for coral reef conservation, ecological research and/or management.

Many thanks to all who offered suggestions-

Eric

====>
You might check with a group at University of Miami, the Center for
Marine and Environmental Analyses Their home page is:
http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/groups/cmea/

Mark Eakin
++++++++++
Mapping and GIS analysis of the global distribution of coral reef fishes
on an equal-area grid by McAllister, Schueler, Roberts and Hawkins.
Chapter 10 in Mapping the Diversity of Nature Edited by Ronald I. Miller.
1994.  Chapman and Hall, London.
McAllister  mcall at superaje.com
++++++++++
As president of a French GIS working on coral reefs, as "Groupement
d'Interêt Scientifique" (GIS) "Environnement marin et littoral de l'île
de Mayotte" (Comoro Archipelago, SW Indian Ocean), I would greatly know
what you understand by GIS in your meaning.
Looking forewards hearing you.
Bernard A. Thomassin
++++++++++
The official global (GCRMN) coral reef database is ReefBase which is
compiled by the World Conservation Monitoring Centre in Cambridge (on
behalf of ICLARM, Manilla).  The base maps and data are collated and
stored using ArcInfo.  The URL is-
http://www.wcmc.org.uk/data/database/reefbase.html

Thomas Lankester toml at eos.co.uk
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One address : emgarcia at skynet.usb.ve (or garcia with accent on the i).

Evaristo Caraballo
Coastal and Marine Projects Coordinator
Fundacion para la Defensa de la Naturaleza fudena at conicit.ve
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Eric --

Did you ever get in touch with Bjorn Schreiber who did the mapping of
lobster and conch habitat in Turks and Caicos?
Try either of these addresses:
czsb at ocag.ch
bjs at swissline.ch ( Bjørn Schreiber)
or
check with Chris Nunnes, the fisheries director who has a new e-mail
account at
Chris at Caribsurf.com
bruce
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I suggest you contact Marji Puotinen. She did a Masters degree (sort of
under me) at Duke University and has since moved on to James Cook
University in Australia where she is doing a PhD. Her Masters work
involved using GIS to distinguish manangement strategies for different
sectors of the Great Barrier Reef, and I'm relatively sure she is
combining GIS and reefs for her
PhD.
MARJI PUOTINEN <PMAP at cathar.tesag.jcu.edu.au
Peter Howd

I too am trying to do the same sort of thing for Papua New Guinea.
Perhaps we can share info.  The only article that I have been able to
find that deals with GIS and reefs is entitled "Reefs from Space:
Satellite Imagery, Marine Ecology, and Ethnography in the Dominican
Republic" by Stoffle and others (1994) in Human Ecology vol. 22 no. 3.

Let me know if you hear of anything else, and I will do the same.

Susie Cochran
cochran at cats.ucsc.edu