Coral Harvesting for Jewelry (fwd)

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Thu Feb 27 16:01:33 EST 1997

>From marbio:

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: Jim Culter <JCULTER at marinelab.sarasota.fl.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:26:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: marbio: Re: Coral Harvesting for jewelry

To Coral researchers:

I recently had a question posed to me concerning the harvest of
precious corals for jewelry.  Can anyone tell me if this is still
permitted in US waters.  I know Hawaii used to have a big
black/red/pink/orange coral business.

Any comments are appreciated.

Jim Culter			jculter at mote.org
Mote Marine Laboratory             voice (941) 388-4441
1600 Thompson Parkway              fax   (941) 388-4312
Sarasota, FL  34236

MML is an independent not-for-profit marine/estuarine research and
education laboratory.  All opinions herein are my own
(not MML policy) unless noted as otherwise.
1995 was the warmest year on record & world grain harvest was the smallest since 1988.
FOR MORE ABOUT MML SEE:
http://www.marinelab.sarasota.fl.us./RESEAR07.HTM   (case sensitive)