Particle Entombment

Lisa Kellogg lkellogg at usouthal.campus.mci.net
Mon Jun 9 23:05:10 EDT 1997

Dear Coral-List Members,

I have recently begun thin-sectioning two specimens of Acropora palmata from
the Florida Keys.  Entombed within the skeletons, I have found several
sediment particles.  Thus far, all of these particles appear to be skeletal
material from Halimeda sp.  I have been unable to find any references in the
liturature that document this phenomenon.  I would appreciate hearing from
anyone who knows of pertinent references in the literature or has seen
anything similar in their own research.  Please reply to me directly at the
e-mail address below.  Thank you.

Sincerely,
Lisa Kellogg
e-mail: lkellogg at usouthal.campus.mci.net