DUST, REEFS, SENSATIONALISM

Jack, Sobel sobelj%dccmc at cenmarine.com
Thu May 22 11:37:21 EDT 1997

Working for a conservation organization, I have on occasion heard members
of both the scientific and press communities unfairly attack the
conservation community for being too sensational and speculative.  Recent
press reports on African Dust and Coral Disease Epidemics make me wonder
whether if the shoe doesn't belong on the other foot these days, but it
is not entirely clear whether this is a result of poor science, poor
reporting, or both.

In press reports, statements by reputable scientists linking African Dust
deposition and Coral Disease epidemics to major Pan-Caribbean and Florida
Keys coral reefs declines; linking African Dust to coral disease
epidemics; and linking the coral disease epidemics to Florida Bay and/or
sewage discharge have been widely circulated.  Yet, there appears to be
at best tenuous correlations and creative speculation behind these
reports.  Such creativity and speculation can serve a valid purpose in
the scientific (and public) process, but when sensationalized in press
reports to garner funding, engage in dangerous experiments, affect
policy, or deflect attention from well-documented problems such as
over-harvesting and declining water quality can be quite destructive.

My questions to the coral-list serve community are:
(1)  What is the scientific evidence behind the African Dust scenario
being a major contributor to Pan-Caribbean and Florida coral reef
declines and how does this compare to evidence for the contributions of
water quality degradation and overfishing?
(2)  What is the proposed mechanism for African Dust causing algal
overgrowth or coral disease epidemics and what evidence is there to
support them?
(3)  In high nutrient Southern Ocean waters far from continental/island
run-off, iron has been suggested as a limiting factor in algal
productivity. There is both a reasonable mechanism and some evidence to
support this view. However, in low nutrient tropical environments
adjacent to land, where coral reefs are found, is there any reason to
believe that dust-born iron inputs from Africa are an important factor in
shifting Coral/Algal balance relative to other factors?  Enough to fund
or engage in the kind of speculative experimentation that has been
proposed to dump iron into pristine coral reef communities and monitor
the impact?

I'm interested in hearing any feedback, views, or information on these
issues that other in the scientific community can provide?
* Jack Sobel, Director                                             *
* Ecosystem Protection                                             *
* Center for Marine Conservation                                   *
* 1725 DeSales St. NW Suite #600                                   *
* Washington, DC 20036                                             *
* Phone:  (202)429-5609                                            *
* Fax     (202)872-0619                                            *
* Email:  jsobel at cenmarine.com                                     *
*"If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like*
*but do not understand, then who but a fool would disgard seemingly*
*useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution*
*of intelligent tinkering."  Aldo Leopold                          *