Rapid Assesment

University of York Biology avm100 at york.ac.uk
Thu Nov 13 14:33:42 EST 1997

Dear All,

We are currently involved in a project which is comparing the Cost Effectiveness of
different Rapid Assesment Methods of coral reef cover.  Specifically we are
comparing the sample size and hence the cost both in terms of time and of funding
required to detect different changes in coral cover.

Our report will also include a description of the different rapid surveying techniques
that we have assesssed. The methods that we are currently including are:

1. AIMS/GBRPA Manta Tow

2. Standardised visual inspection of 7x7m quadrats (as used at TMRU, York)

3.  1x1m photoquadrats analysed for larger corals (>15cm. diam) and by growth /
life-form only

4.  5x5m photoquadrats analysed for larger corals (>15cm. diam) and by growth /
life-form only

5.  1 metre wide video transects photoquadrats analysed for larger corals (>15cm.
diam) and by growth / life-form only

We would very much welcome any other suggestions as to methods which we
should include, whether peoples pet methods, or more widely used ones that we
have overlooked.

May I suggest you reply to me directly at the following e-mail, and I will distribute a
summary of responses on the the coral list in due course.

Thanking everyone for their assistance,

Annalie Morris
University of York
England