Florida Bay, Florida

Ursula Keuper-Bennett howzit at turtles.org
Sat Oct 25 17:58:30 EDT 1997

Hello Coral Researchers,

A recent AP article entitled "Mysterious tumors threaten sea turtles" at

    http://cnn.com/EARTH/9710/23/turtle.tumors.ap/index.html

said this about Florida Bay, Florida.

"A study last year by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection
found that 10 percent of live loggerhead turtles caught in Florida Bay, at
the southern tip of the state, are affected."

I have investigated Florida Bay on the Internet and am aware of
environmental problems in the area.  But now, as a result of this article,
I am hoping there is someone on the coral mailing list who has expert
knowledge of environmental conditions in the nearshore waters of Florida Bay.

While I'm at it I might as well take a long shot.  I was hoping to ask the
same questions for Moreton Bay in Australia.  Again I have tracked down
general information on the Internet but now have more specific questions.

(From my own limited experience diving in Hawaii I have found that if the
corals aren't healthy neither are the resident turtles --hence I ask here)

Many thanks
              ^               Ursula Keuper-Bennett
             0 0              Email: howzit at turtles.org
  /V     Turtle Trax    V\    http://www.turtles.org
"For most of the wild things on earth the future must
depend upon the conscience of mankind."

          \       /       --- Dr. Archie Carr
          /  \ /  \