BLEACHING IS DUE TO CO2

Ove Hoegh-Guldberg oveh at bio.usyd.edu.au
Sun Dec 6 19:18:38 EST 1998

Dear Martin,

I would recommend you read a paper that we have in the journal Plant, cell
and Environment.  It should be out (or will be soon - I can fax you a copy).
The basic finding is that slight increases in temperature cause a stalling
of the dark reactions of photosynthesis - that is, bleaching is akin to a
lowering of the threshold of symbiotic dinoflagellates for photoinhibition.
Our model currently suggests that temperature causes a failure of electron
flow to the Calvin Cycle and subsequent electron pressure from the light
reactions leads to over-reduction of electron transport components and
(probably) active oxygen production.  This results in damage to the
dinoflagellate symbionts and eventually in coral bleaching.

Jones, R, Hoegh-Guldberg, O, Larkum, AWL and Schreiber, U. (1998)
Temperature induced bleaching of corals begins with impairment of dark
metabolism in zooxanthellae. Plant Cell and Environment.  Abstract below.

We can also simulate the same effect by stalling the flow of carbon dioxide
to the Calvin Cycle using inhibitors of CA, increasing light pressure,
blocking the dark reactions using cyanide and other means.  Your experiments
demonstrate a similar effect - a reduction in the flow of carbon to the
Calvin Cycle and subsequent over-reduction etc.  I would predict that your
effect is light dependent and that the effect is vastly reduced if your
experiments are done in the complete absence of light.

Given the extremely high coincidence between thermal anomalies and coral
bleaching, I would still say that even though you get this effect in the
laboratory, it is still a (perhaps important) secondary factor like light
intensity.  Your message header, then, "BLEACHING IS DUE TO CO2" is
incorrect.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Ove

Abstract:

Temperature induced bleaching of corals begins with impairment of dark
metabolism in zooxanthellae (86 characters)

Running title: Temperature induced bleaching of corals (35 characters)

List of authors:

(a) R.J. Jones 1
(b) I.O. Hoegh-Guldberg 1
(c) A.W.D. Larkum 1
(d) U. Schreiber 2

Institutes of origin:

1School of Biological Sciences, The University of Sydney, Sydney NSW 2006,
Australia

2 Julius-von-Sachs Institut für Biowissenschaften, Universität Würzburg,
Mittlerer Dallenbergweg 64, D-97082 Würzburg, Germany

Name and address of author to whom correspondence should be addressed:

Dr Ove Hoegh-Guldberg
Building AO8
School of Biological Sciences
University of Sydney
Sydney, NSW 2006
Australia
Telephone: (02) 9351-2389
Fax (02) 9351-4119
email: oveh at bio.usyd.edu.au

Abstract
The early effects of heat stress on the photosynthesis of zooxanthellae
within the tissues of a reef-building coral were examined using
Pulse-Amplitude-Modulated (PAM) chlorophyll fluorescence and
photo-respirometry. Exposure of Stylophora pistillata to 33 and 34(C for 4 h
resulted in (1) the development of strong non-photochemical quenching (qN)
of the chlorophyll fluorescence signal, (2) marked decreases in
photosynthetic oxygen evolution, and (3) decreases in optimal quantum yield
(Fv/Fm) of photosystem II (PSII). Quantum yield decreased to a greater
extent on the illuminated surfaces of coral branches rather than lower
(shaded) surfaces, and also when high irradiances intensities were combined
with elevated temperature (33(C as opposed to 28(C). qN collapsed in
heat-stressed samples when quenching analysis was conducted in the absence
of oxygen. Collectively, these observations are interpreted as the
initiation of photoprotective dissipation of excess absorbed energy as heat
(qN) and O2-dependent electron flow through the Mehler-Ascorbate-Peroxidase
cycle (MAP-cycle) following the point at which the rate of light-driven
electron transport exceeds the capacity of the Calvin cycle. A model for
coral bleaching is proposed whereby the primary site of heat damage in the S
pistillata is carboxylation within the Calvin cycle, as has been observed in
the higher plants. Damage to PSII and a reduction in Fv/Fm (cf
photoinhibition) is a secondary effect following the overwhelming of
photo-protective mechanisms by light, a secondary factor that aggravates the
effect of the primary variable temperature. Potential restrictions of
electron flow in heat-stressed zooxanthellae are discussed with respect to
Calvin cycle enzymes and the unusual status of the zooxanthellar Rubisco.
Significant features of the model are that (1) damage to PSII is not the
initial step in the sequence of heat stress in zooxanthellae, and (2) light
plays a key secondary influence.
(words 293)