Possible Bleaching -- Great Barrier Reef

astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov
Fri Feb 13 12:07:19 EST 1998

The following note is being posted at our Hotspot Website at NOAA/NESDIS:

http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/climohot.html

Any information/confirmation would be apprecieated...

Al Strong

NOTES:    February 10, 1998

SSTs have warmed considerably off the eastern coast of Australia during the past
few weeks.  Our "HotSpot" chart indicates bleaching may have begun in the
southernmost region of the Great Barrier Reef.  To my knowledge, our SSTs from
1984 have not seen anything quite this warm.  Please provide us with information
from the field on this unprecedented event.

AES