Bolca fishes and coral spawning

Osha Gray Davidson osha at pobox.com
Mon Feb 23 08:14:23 EST 1998

Apologies for cross-listings:

I've read a few theories about what killed the "Bolca fishes," the
wonderfully preserved Eocene fossils near Bolca, Italy. The generally
accepted theory seems to be that a massive algae bloom did them in (though
it's just one theory). With recent knowledge of mass coral spawning, and the
possibility that giant gamete slicks can, under certain conditions, result
in the death of life below, has anyone looked into the possibility that THIS
is what killed the Bolca fishes? If this were the case, would there be
evidence in the fossil record? I'd like to hear from anyone with thoughts
(or better still, research) on this.

Thanks,
Osha

Osha Gray Davidson
14 S. Governor St.
Iowa City, IA 52240
USA

PH: (319) 338-4778
FAX: (319) 338-8606
e-mail: osha at pobox.com
Scholar Affiliate, International Programs, University of Iowa