Bolca fishes and coral spawning

Julian F. Sprung JSprung at compuserve.com
Tue Feb 24 00:01:42 EST 1998

Hmmm,

If the fish were killed by an event that suffocated them it seems they
would have rotted and therefore not been preserved.

Doesn't it seem more likely that a major seismic tragedy simply drained the
water away suddenly, leaving them in mud which rapidly dried and thus
preserved them?

I saw the fascinating article in Coral Reefs. I know little about the Bolca
fishes other than that they were so well preserved that even skin patterns
are visible. This makes me feel certain that they were dried. Leave a dead
fish in water and you have mush and bones in a few days unless the water is
sterilized. I don't suppose that there was a Clorox or formalin reserve in
the vicinity of this region.

Julian Sprung