Moderated List: Good News, Bad News

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Thu Jan 8 11:46:43 EST 1998

The Good News
	approved, because of item (1) above.

(3)  Since the whole reason behind moderating the list was to
	stop or reduce spamming, I can re-open the list to
	unrestriced postings by members of coral-list.

(4)  We will again see great news concerning coral reef research
	in a timely (almost immediate) fashion

(5)  My choice of what is "appropriate" won't suppress freedom
	of speech.

The Bad News
------------

(1)  Because the list will no longer be moderated, you will continue
	to see occasional irksome messages posted directly to
	coral-list:

	a)  "Please (un)subscribe me to coral-list..."

		[Send to majordomo at coral.aoml.noaa.gov instead]

	b)  "Hi, my name is Zeke, and I need a job/degreee/loan..."

		[Sometimes coral-list is a proper forum, but not
		usually.  Please consider your messages carefully.]

	c)  "Could everybody please research the literature
		on coral X for me, then send me everything ever
		written on the subject?  Oh, and make it snappy,
		will ya'?"

		[These messages might be appropriate for folks
		who are far removed from good library sources,
		so we should bear with them.]

(2)  Spammers can subscribe, post their junk, then unsubscribe, but
	at least under the new configuration I'll be able to
	see who they are (usually), and I can alert their Systems
	Administrator.  This usually means they'll be kicked off
	their system, as well as coral-list.

(3)  Under the new configuration, if messages to you bounce, you
	may be put on a "bounces" mailing list.  Messages will
	be sent to you from this list, until they get through.
	At that time, you will have to unsubscribe from bounces
	and resubscribe to coral-list.  Because of this,
	**PLEASE** try to remember to unsubscribe from the list
	under your old email address, then resubscribe under
	the new email address.  Also, if you anticipate a
	reconfiguration of your domain name (e.g., smart.univ.edu
	vs. really.smart.univ.edu), you may want to let me
	know.

I hope this will be acceptable to everybody.  I will now post
some messages that were formerly in the queue for "acceptance"
by the moderator.

	Cheers,

	jch
	coral-list administrator