Tahiti Bleaching

astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov
Tue Jan 27 10:14:25 EST 1998

We just received this query about possible bleaching near Tahiti:

....our response follows [posted at the HotSpot WebSite]...

Dear Alan,

 We have reports that SST  around Tahiti and Moorea has raised to 30° C,
but we do not have any information on the conditions under which such
values are recorded (e.g. lagoon waters, open ocean ...) If such values are
representative of the true situation, then conditions for a bleaching event
could me met.  From your satellite data, could you confirm that something
is brewing?

 Many thanks and kind regards

Michel [Pichon]

(http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/climohot.html)

NOTES:    January 27, 1998 -- HotSpots

SSTs have inched a bit higher in the vicinity of the
Galapagos, approaching 29C within the El Nino
"HotSpot," showing values nearly 3 deg C above
the warmest climatological SST for the ENTIRE year;
30C SSTs can be seen to the NE off the coast of
Central America.  The HotSpot envelope has pressed
southward toward Tahiti during the past few weeks
and there is some concern that the 30C [plus] SSTs
near 150W/15S may expand toward Tahiti and
French Polynesia.

In the Indian Ocean, the large HotSpot that has been
elongated NW-SE shows signs of weakening.  Concern
has been expressed that these extreme SSTs may have
caused some bleaching near the Seychelles.

AES

Alan E. Strong
  Phys Scientist/Oceanographer               Adj Assoc Res Professor
    NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD -- E/RA3            US Naval Academy
    NOAA Science Center -- RM 711W           Oceanography Department
      5200 Auth Road                              Annapolis, MD 21402
      Camp Springs, MD 20746                      410-293-6550
               Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
               301-763-8102 x170   FAX: 301-763-8108
                         http://manati.wwb.noaa.gov/orad