Bleaching in Borneo

ccc at coralcay.demon.co.uk ccc at coralcay.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 12:11:43 EST 1998

Coral Cay Conservation is currently initiating a major series
of baseline surveys in East Kalimantan, Indonesia. Initial
observations have reported significant coral bleaching, reaching
60-70% at some depths. Interestingly the water is much colder than
normal (approximately 23 degrees) and there are also extensive
plankton blooms. If anyone else has similar observations from this
area I would be keen to hear about them. I would also appreciate
comments on whether these oceanographic conditions are typical for
the area at this time of year or perhaps linked to El Nino.

I hope to post more detailed data on the extent of coral
bleaching over the next few months.

Many thanks,

Alastair Harborne
Science Co-ordinator.
--
Coral Cay Conservation Ltd.  154 Clapham Park Road, London, SW4 7DE, UK.
Tel: +44 (0)171 498 6248         Fax: +44 (0)171 498 8447 / 622 6126