all apologies

Robert Miller bmiller at soest.hawaii.edu
Thu Jul 2 17:59:25 EDT 1998

Dear list,

Recently I made a comment to the list implying that Bill Precht, as an
environmental consultant, might have some ties to the sugar industry in
Florida.  I got this idea from the web page of Precht's former employer,
Consul-Tech, which touts its experience in dealing with development and
agricultural projects.  Precht quickly corrected me, and I
apologize for any misunderstanding.  The comment was not intended as a
personal attack, but as a call for general questioning of the motives of
enviromental consultants.  I think that the inherent conflict of interest
that may be involved always bears scrutiny.

I am only a graduate student, and my specialty has been deep-sea biology,
rather than coral reef biology.  Thus I was unaware of the severity of
judgement placed on such comments, as Bill Precht wittily expressed
in the following note.