all apologies

Craig Bingman cbingman at netcom.com
Thu Jul 2 23:54:16 EDT 1998

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Robert Miller wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Recently I made a comment to the list implying that Bill Precht, as an
> environmental consultant, might have some ties to the sugar industry in
> Florida.  I got this idea from the web page of Precht's former employer,
> Consul-Tech, which touts its experience in dealing with development and
> agricultural projects.  Precht quickly corrected me, and I
> apologize for any misunderstanding.

It matters less when it goes away quickly.  This whole thing could have
been concluded in one or two terse sentences.

> The comment was not intended as a
> personal attack, but as a call for general questioning of the motives of
> enviromental consultants.

If your axiom is that environmental consultants for a given industry are
less than completely ethical when they weigh facts, then that is going to
a legitimate problem.

> I think that the inherent conflict of interest
> that may be involved always bears scrutiny.
>
> I am only a graduate student, and my specialty has been deep-sea biology,
> rather than coral reef biology.  Thus I was unaware of the severity of
> judgement placed on such comments, as Bill Precht wittily expressed
> in the following note.

Surely the study of deep sea biu=ology ghas attracted it shares of
prickly customoers.