Reefs At Risk

sobelj%dccmc at cenmarine.com sobelj%dccmc at cenmarine.com
Tue Jun 23 19:50:47 EDT 1998

A report entitled "Reefs at Risk" was released at a National Press Club
press conference today by the World Resources Institute, ICLARM, WCMC,
and UNEP.  In addition to this impressive group of producers, the
National Press Club event was introduced by NOAA's Terry Garcia, Asst
Sec. for Oceans and Atmosphere, Sylvia Earle wrote the opening section,
and the contributing authors and reviewers include a virtual who's who of
coral reef researchers and personalities.  The attractive report does a
good job of identifying the major threats to coral reefs:
overexploitation (fishing, etc.), pollution (especially land-based), and
coastal development (which contributes to the others).

Nonetheless, I can't help but question some of the report's conclusions,
findings, and assumptions.  These include:

(1) The reefs of the Florida Keys face only moderate threat overall?
(2) The reefs of the Windward and Leeward islands face greater threat
than those of the Florida Keys?
(3) The reefs of Southern Belize face greater threat than those of the
Florida Keys?
(4) Overexploitation is only a threat to those reefs in countries whose
per capita GNP is < $10,000/year or whose per capita fish consumption is

#4 seems particularly disturbing to me as it seems to be an unjustified
assumption that while noted, is not explained, and may be responsible in
part for the erroneous conclusions reached in #1,#2, and #3, and perhaps
others.  This unjustified assumption lead to overexploitation being
ignored as a contributing factor to reef degradation in the United
States, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Israel, and the
Bahamas.  Since I participated in the initial methodology workshop for
this report back in August of 1997, I know that the contribution of
overexploitation/fishing to reef degradation was flagged and highlighted
at that workshop by numerous reviewers.

Since no explanation is given in the report for exempting these countries
from consideration of fishing impacts, one might speculate that political
considerations were involved.  Am I missing something?   What do others
think?
Jack Sobel, Director
Ecosystem Protection
Center for Marine Conservation
Washington, DC  20036
(202)429-5609 or (202)857-5552
Fax: (202)872-0619
Email:  jsobel @cenmarine.com

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant:
'What good is it?'.  If the land mechanismas a whol is good, then every
part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the
course of eons, has built something we like, but do not understand, then
who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog
and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering."
Aldo Leopold, Round River, 1953.