Positions open in ECOSUR (fwd)

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Wed Mar 11 08:35:30 EST 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: salazar at nicte-ha.ecosur-qroo.mx (Sergio Salazar Vallejo)
Subject: Positions open in ECOSUR
        pfarias at ecosur-qroo.mx

Dear colleagues,

ECOSUR is El Colegio de la Frontera Sur: it's a Federal Mexican Government
research center. It has campuses in several cities in Southern Mexico like
Villahermosa, Campeche, San Cristobal, Tapachula, and Chetumal. The
Chetumal Unit is mainly focused to coastal ecology issues, it has some 30
full-time researchers being the second one largest in ECOSUR. Most
researchers are Mexican though there are two German, one French, and one
Dutch colleagues in this Unit.

ECOSUR has a Graduate Program in Natural Resources Management and since
last few months, it's responsible for planning a research project on the
Northwestern Caribbean reefs. This is expected to be an international
initiative including Mexico, Belize, Guatemala and Honduras. It's aims are
to have a better integral management and to avoid some tourism-related
damages in the reefal ecosystem. We hope to be able to share our
experiences through workshops, intensive training and coordinated research
projects.

We realize we need more colleagues to cooperate in this effort. Thus, we
are glad to announce we have several positions open in:

        Integrated Coastal Zone Management
        Taxonomy and Ecology of Non-commercial Benthic Crustaceans
        Taxonomy and Ecology of Macroalgae
        Taxonomy and Ecology of Coral Reefs
        Taxonomy and Ecology of Sponges
        Taxonomy and Ecology of Molluscs

Interested colleagues should be fluent in Spanish and willing to succeed
in a different cultural and working environment which includes pressures
to publish in international journals, get extra-mural funding, and for
teaching at the Graduate level.

Please send me a letter of research interests including availability,
e-mail codes of three recomendants, an abridged Curriculum vitae, and
photocopies of:

        1) Ph.D. Diploma.
        2) Recent publications.
        3) Documents of teaching experience.
        4) Cover of thesis of your students (directed by yourself).         =

This call will be closed only when positions become occupated.

				* Sergio I. Salazar-Vallejo *
				* Depto. Ecolog=EDa Acu=E1tica  *
				* ECOSUR, Apdo. Postal 424  *
				* Chetumal QR 77000 MEXICO  *