Coral Bleaching -- INDONESIA

astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov
Wed May 6 13:13:30 EDT 1998

Passing this recent information from Lombok Island in Indonesia on to others who
may have an interest or may wish to share further observations.

Al Strong

<---- Begin Forwarded Message ---->
From: "Taufik Hizbul Haq" <yajari at hotmail.com>
To: astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov
Subject: Coral Bleaching
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 21:00:53 PDT

First of all, let me introduce ourselves. We are a Marine Foundation,
named Yayasan JARI. We're based in Mataram, Lombok Island, West Nusa
Tenggara Province - Indonesia.

During this last four months, the coral reef around Lombok Island is
suffering from bleaching process. And it is happening almost around
Lombok Island (next to Bali). The bleaching process is happening until
80 feet depth, and also we have cold and hot current[s] on the surface and
[at] depth. All the coral is getting white and it is very sad. [Does] this
event has something to do with the El-Nino phenomenon? Cause we have
information that coral in the Great Barrier Reef is bleaching, and also
Taka Bone Rate National Park in South Sulawesi and Bunaken National Park
in North Sulawesi...

Juanita Mandagi
Marine Foundation -- Yayasan JARI
Mataram, Lombok Island
West Nusa Tenggara Province
Indonesia

Alan E. Strong
  Phys Scientist/Oceanographer                    Adj Assoc Res Professor
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD -- E/RA3                    US Naval Academy
  NOAA Science Center -- RM 711W                    Oceanography Department
  5200 Auth Road                                        Annapolis, MD 21402
  Camp Springs, MD 20746                              410-293-6550
        Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
  301-763-8102 x170    FAX: 301-763-8108
          http://manati.wwb.noaa.gov/orad